New Home Checklist
Over the course of our lives most of us will move several times and it never seems to be a process that gets easier. Whether you’re upsizing, downsizing, sea- or tree-changing, moving house is always a busy time, requiring a lot of thought and planning to ensure a smooth and successful move. To help you on your way, we have put together a host of things that you will need on you to-do list.
Connect your utilities
Prior to moving in, it’s a good idea to organise your utilities in advance. We recommend calling your provider and organising everything to be turned on the day you move in. It is important to keep in mind the company will need a few days to set this up, so ensure you contact them in advance.
Take care of any outstanding bills
Double-check if you have any outstanding rates or utility bills. If you can, it could be a good idea to pay them off before you move or let your provider know you are moving, to reduce the risk of losing the paperwork or accidentally accruing late fees.
The secret to a smooth moving day lies in developing a game plan and sticking to it. We have included a checklist of everything you need to think about for the big move:
- Do you need a removalist service?
- Collect packing boxes and ensure you have everything packed and ready to go before movers arrive. Clearly label boxes with their contents and room.
- Ensure large white goods such as fridges have been turned off 24 hours prior to the movers arriving.
- Sweep, mop and clean all surfaces before you start unpacking.
- If you have any kids or pets, it may be worth seeing if a family member or friend can take them for the day.
- Make a day pack in advance, which should include a phone charger, any medications, food, water, toothbrush and items for any animals. Anything you might need while unpacking.
- Fill out your condition report and take photos before you begin.
- Make beds first and settle any kids or pets, if they are with you, before you get cracking with the unpacking.
Whether you are buying or renting, it is a good idea to consider organise insurance and protect your belongings. You can also ask your provider about cover during your move just in case anything doesn’t arrive at the new property in its original condition.